To get the full effect out of the private sector you need cooperation and dialogue between different bodies. All are necessary. All are just as important.
Swedfund's role is to finance sustainable business in some of the world's poorest countries.
Nine of ten jobs are created in the private sector and each new job lifts five people out of poverty (Source: IFC Job Study Report).
Since 1979, our investments have contributed to the creation of hundreds of thousands of new jobs and in the last twenty years the proportion of people living in poverty has decreased by half.
Swedfunds goal – a world without extreme poverty – suddenly feels very realistic. To get there we want to:
- • Continue to take risks and thereby show that investment in entrepreneurship is both possible and profitable.
- • Increase access to finance, especially for small and medium sized businesses.
- • Coordinate our investments and efforts with other international organizations, government agencies and banks.
- • Ensure that our investments lead to sustainable business practices with regard to working conditions and equality as well as work environment and use of natural resources.
- • Contribute to strengthening businesses IT infrastructure, productivity and logistics.
As the private sector develops, it must cover different dimensions: